Monday, April 11, 2011

I Went to the National Conference for Media Reform (NCMR)



This weekend. It was very worthwhile. I learned how important mobile phones are for those with low incomes (they work as an affordable mini-connection to the world in place of landlines and broadband) and why net neutrality matters greatly. I learned about the insidious (often racist and sexist) poison reality television injects into our veins while we think we are just laughing at stupid people, and I learned enormous amounts about the reasons why advertisers want to sexualize children, especially little girls (did you know that they sell a padded bra to four-year-olds?) I also learned that new shoes are not the best of ideas when one walks miles outside and on concrete floors. And I met many brilliant people and fantastic women working in the media and inside the WAM.

What I learned will affect future posts here. With the possible exception of the shoe lesson.