Thursday, February 03, 2011

Talking To God



President Obama spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast. You should really learn more about that particular institution. I recommend Jeff Sharlet's book on the topic.

And what does the president pray for?
“I petition God for a whole range of things” he said, but cited three recurring themes. “The first category of prayer comes out of the urgency of the Old Testament prophets and the Gospel itself. I pray for my ability to help those who are struggling,” he said.
A second theme “is a prayer for humility,” he said. And, to audience laughter and applause he added, “God answered this prayer for me early on by having me marry Michelle, because whether it's reminding me of a chore undone or questioning the wisdom of watching my third football game in a row on Sunday, she keeps me humble.”
The final theme to his prayers, the president said, “one that binds all prayers together, is that I might walk closer with God and make that walk my first and most important task.” In expanding on that theme, he said, “When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, and I ask Him to give me the strength to do right by our country and its people. And when I go to bed at night, I wait on the Lord, and I ask Him to forgive me my sins and look after my family and the American people and make me an instrument of His will.”
Old Testament prophets, the Lord, "He" and so on. Wife as a humility-giver about chores and football games. Sounds pretty much what George W. Bush would have said.

Now, this post is why I will never be a mainstream goddess.