Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Where the Female Bloggers Are



Not at the meeting Speaker Pelosi organized for bloggers about the health care reform proposal:

I just got back from an on the record meeting for blogger with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Also present were David Waldman, Igor Volsky, Greg Sargent, Jason Rosenbaum, Ryan Grim, Chris Bowers, Brian Beutler, and John Aravosis. Aside from hearing a lot about parliamentary procedure that I think is being written about too much, and learning that having a woman Speaker of the House doesn't guarantee that any women will be at congressional blogger briefings, the main message was one of confidence: "I have faith in my members that we will be passing this legislation."

Perhaps women were invited but couldn't make it? I hope so because the alternative makes me think of Maggy Thatcher in many pictures of this type:





Mmm.

Taylor Marsh points out the same nonexistent female bloggers. She also links to a MoveOn video (though I can't see it marked as such), about how Democrats should vote on whatever the final health care reform bill might be. The video is pretty weird watching from the gender angle, too:





Why does any of this matter? Because of what has been offered up as THE compromise in the whole debacle: Further reductions in women's reproductive choice. To add insult to injury is neither smart nor kind. That's why I reallyreally hope that Pelosi invited umpteen female bloggers but they were all too busy to attend. The alternative would make me angry.