Saturday, October 30, 2004

Happy Halloween Eve!



Or happy eve of the eve of the day of the dead. This is the time when the worlds of the living and the dead are only a thin skin apart, and anything might burst through! Just scaring you. But if you are worried, set out a few plates of food and drink for the dead and they'll leave you alone.

This is also a good time to spend a minute or two in saying thanks to all those you loved who have gone before. I'm thinking of my dog Fang who died some years ago. She taught me everything I need about napping and how to bite the Achilles tendons of nasty people, and I miss her very much. I left her ashes at the root of a tree near the fields where she liked to run and play, and ever since her death that place has sprouted wonderful wild flowers through three seasons. I sometimes imagine her with white angel wings biting the ankles of saints. She's having fun.

If you want to read more serious politics today, check out the American Street. I post there on Saturdays, but on other days they have a long string of celebrity posters.